This earthy and delicious salad makes a perfect lunch.
This is something of an “everything but the kitchen sink” type salad. It started off with roasted sweet potatoes, wilted spinach, lentils, and pearl barley in an herb dressing. Which sounded like a nice combination of super foods. Then I decided to add in some hard boiled eggs for a little extra protein. Which lead me to debate adding in some tuna instead of the eggs. Ultimately, I decided, why not both?
The overall combination is an earthy and satisfyingly filling lunch that works perfectly for meal prep. The recipe made three days worth of lunch-sized salad servings. This would also make a great weeknight dinner.
Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with foil. The idea is roast and caramelize the sweet potatoes so I would avoid using a silicone baking mat in this case. Toss the diced sweet potatoes in avocado oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for about 40 minutes until soft. Stir the potatoes halfway through the roasting process.
While the potatoes roast, add the lentils and pearl barley in a small pot and add the vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and simmer until tender, about 40 minutes. When the lentils and barley have finished cooking, turn off the heat. Add the spinach to the pot and cover. This will allow the spinach to wilt in the steam.
I like to use a mini food processor for the dressing. I find it makes creating vinaigrette dressings easier. So I add all of the dressing ingredients to the mini food processor and process until they are combined.
To assemble the salad, add the sweet potatoes, tuna, spinach, lentils and barley to a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to combine. Top with chopped hard boiled eggs.
This is a great dish for meal prep. Portion it out into your preferred meal prep containers and refrigerate until ready to enjoy.
Become a subscriber to receive free printables! Create your own food journal.
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Lentils, Pearl Barley, Tuna and Herb Dressing
- Mini food processor
For the Salad
- 2 medium Sweet Potatoes peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup Pearl Barley
- 1/2 cup Green Lentils
- 2 Eggs hard boiled, peeled, and sliced
- 5 oz Tuna drained, if using canned
- 2 cups Spinach
- 3 cups Water or Vegetable Stock
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil
For the Dressing
- 1/3 cup Olive or Avocado Oil
- 2 tbsp Dried Dill
- 2 tbsp Dried Chives
- 2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp Coarse Ground Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Honey
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Salad
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with the avocado oil, salt and pepper on a lined baking sheet. Roast the potatoes for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. When finished, allow to cool slightly.
- While the potatoes are roasting, combine the pearl barley, lentils, and water (or vegetable stock) in a small pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for approximately 40 minutes or until tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- When the lentils and barley have finished cooking, add the spinach to the pot. Cover and allow to wilt slightly, about five minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, lentil mixture, and tuna. Stir to combine and top with hard boiled eggs and herb dressing.
For the Dressing
- Combine the dressing incredients in the bowl of a small food processor. Process to combine.
Shop This Recipe
This page contains affiliate links. This means for any purchase made, I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
New subscribers get access to free food journal printables. Sign up today!