Easy and flavorful vegetarian lunch or delicious side with meat or fish
This is a great recipe to keep at the ready for a quick, vegetarian lunch. It’s also a great side dish to pair with chicken or fish. Rice and beans is a traditional Sephardic dish that has become increasingly popular across Israel.
I opted to make this version with canned beans, in order to save time. But to really do it right, I recommend using dried beans and slow cooking this dish to really develop the rich flavors. But for a quick lunch version, this works just fine.
Become a subscriber to receive free printables! Create your own food journal.
Israeli Rice and Beans
- 15 oz can Cannellini Beans
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 small Onion diced
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Rice prepared according to package instructions
- In a pan, heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat until it shimmers.
- Add the onions and saute about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the beans, tomato paste, and spices. Cook another minute.
- Add the vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until the sauce thickens.
- For a meal prep lunch, place a layer of rice in the container and top with the bean mixture. Refrigerate until ready to heat and eat. This recipe makes two lunch servings.
Find the Ingredients
This page contains affiliate links. This means for any purchase made, I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
New subscribers get access to free food journal printables. Sign up today!