Meat free, hearty comfort food
Comfort food sounded like a good option this week. So I made one of my favorites. All the flavors of a slow cooked pot roast meal without the guilt.
This dish is a delicious mix of vegetables and mushrooms in a rich gravy. I like to pair it with a gluten free pasta. In this case, I’ve done it with gluten free egg noodles but I’ve also done chickpea or lentil pastas. All work great.
Become a subscriber to receive free printables! Create your own food journal.
Vegetarian Pot Roast
- 1 large Sweet Potato peeled and diced
- 8 oz Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Dried Porcini Mushrooms rehydrated in hot water and drained
- 1 large Carrot diced
- 1 small Yellow Onion diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 3 cups Vegetable Stock divided
- 1/2 cup Dry Red Wine
- 3 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce vegetarian
- 2 tbsp Corn Starch
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Gluten Free Egg Noodles cooked according to package instructions
- In a large, high sided pan, heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, carrots, sweet potatoes, and mushrooms. Cook another 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup of the vegetable stock with the corn starch to make a slurry. Set aside.
- To the vegetables, add the remaining vegetable stock, wine, tomato paste, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer until the vegetables are tender, about fifteen minutes. Add the corn starch slurry and continue to simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Divide the cooked egg noodles and the pot roast mixture between two meal prep containers. Refrigerate until ready to eat. Reheat in the microwave about 3 minutes prior to serving.
This page contains affiliate links. This means for any purchase made, I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
New subscribers get access to free food journal printables. Sign up today!